Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Meet the Jester and the Prince's Right Hand Man: Ryan Seate!

 Who doesn't love to laugh? Meet the guy to make it happen-- Ryan Seate, a seasoned company member at Ballet Ariel, who is dancing the soloist role of the Jester in our full length production of Cinderella (for show information click here: http://balletariel.org/2012_Cinderella.html).

Ryan Seate in rehearsal as the Jester

 Ryan is a Colorado native and grew up playing sports through high school (baseball and football). It's not surprising to learn that he is an athlete when watching him in action as the Jester. He is full of energy, strong, and a bold mover. He fearlessly attacks (and successfully completes) difficult steps such as double tours, multiple turns, and the intricate footwork choreographed on him by Peter Strand for the role of the playful Jester. In the famous Ballroom scene of Cinderella, you'll see him playfully pulling the guests into his fun while also acting as the Prince's right hand man.

Ryan Seate in rehearsal as the Jester 

It's hard to believe Ryan has only been dancing five years when observing his natural talent and ability. His dance training began in college and continued with International Youth Ballet in Littleton and the Performing Arts Conservatory of Texas. He has been dancing professionally with Ballet Ariel for three years, as well as dancing soloist roles with Boulder Ballet. Ryan has been a guest artist around the country and danced leading roles in ballets such as Peter and the Wolf ("Peter"),  Le Corsaire, Les Sylphides, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Nutcracker ("Cavalier"), Peter Pan, Napoli, Beauty and the Beast, and Les Patineurs.
We recently caught up with Ryan and learned a bit more about him and his experience dancing the role of the Jester:

What is your favorite part about playing the role of the Jester in Cinderella?
"I love to express myself while I'm dancing the role. My character is a silly, high energy clown who wants to get a fun party started for the ballroom scenes... I personally am a silly energetic clown myself. Credit goes to my choreographer Peter Strand (editors note: Peter Strand is a contributing choreographer for certain scenes in Cinderella) who brought out my true character."

What has surprised you during this season with Ballet Ariel?
"My biggest surprise this year is I surprised myself. Due to recovering from a serious injury I thought I had lost some of my artistic personality when dancing a very demanding role... But I feel strong and confident again."

Ryan Seate

Who inspires you as an artist?
"Most of the inspiration I've carried in my career has come from working with very talented professional teachers, directors, choreographers and dancers who I still learn from everyday. Some names in particular are Rudolf Nureyev and Mr H. Christopher Fairbank. I try to learn from them as much as I can to help me expand my career."

What are some hobbies you enjoy?
"Some activities I like to do outside of dance are painting miniatures, drawing, video making, traveling and enjoying company with great friends."

Come see Ryan as the silly and confident Jester in Ballet Ariel's full length Cinderella  March 23-24th at the PACE Center in Parker! For more information check out the company Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/balletarieldenver
Or, go straight to the PACE Center website and buy tickets there directly: http://www.parkeronline.org/index.aspx?nid=989

No comments:

Post a Comment